You might as well die happy, full of a pound of chocolate
- 24 Oreos
- 6 Tbsp. melted butter
- 4 (8-oz.) packages of cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 250 g (~9 oz.) dark chocolate, chopped and melted
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 250 g dark chocolate (or 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Chocolate shavings, for garnish (optional)
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 5 hours 25 minutes
Yield: 10+ servings
My go-to chocolate for this recipe is the pound-plus (500 g) bar of 72% dark chocolate from Trader Joe's.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and position an oven rack in the middle of the oven.
- Make crust: In a large Ziploc bag or a food processor fitted with a metal blade, crush or blend Oreos until fine crumbs form. Transfer to a bowl and pour in melted butter. Stir until crumbs are completely coated and moist.
- Make filling: In a large bowl using a hand mixer (or in the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment), beat cream cheese, sugars, cocoa powder and salt until smooth. Add eggs one a time, beating well between each addition. Fold in melted chocolate.
- Coat a 9" springform pan with cooking spray and press Oreo mixture into pan and 1/3 of the way up the sides, packing tightly. Pour cheesecake filling over crust.
- Bake until cheesecake is only slightly jiggly in the center, 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes. (If you want to use a water bath to ensure cheesecake top does not crack, wrap the outside of the pan in aluminum foil and place in a baking dish. Place on oven rack and pour in enough boiling water to reach halfway up the pan. Follow baking instructions.) If using a water bath, remove pan from water and unwrap foil. Refrigerate cheesecake until totally chilled, at least 4 hours and up to overnight.
- Make ganache: Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. Meanwhile, heat heavy cream in the microwave or a small saucepan over medium heat. When chocolate is melted, remove from heat and add cream. Stir until smooth.
- Spread/pour ganache on top of the cheesecake. Garnish with chocolate shavings. Return to the fridge for about 10 more minutes to let the ganache set.